March 5, 2018
Laboratory Research Technician Position in Infectious Diseases
The Idaho Veterans Research & Education Foundation (IVREF), a non-profit entity affiliated with the VA Medical Center in Boise, Idaho, announces a Laboratory Research Technician Position opening in the multi-disciplinary Center of Excellence in Emerging/Reemerging Infectious Diseases. All research performed through IVREF is undertaken to advance the health of America’s veterans. This part-time research technician position will focus on investigating how diabetes affects wound healing. Special consideration will be given to candidates with demonstrated experience in pathogenic microbiology, innate immunology, computational biology, and/or acquisition and analysis of “omics” data derived from metabolomics, metatranscriptomics, and/or microbiome profiling.
The successful candidate will be part of an innovative, cutting-edge infectious disease research group, where s/he will work with early-stage Principal Investigators and interface with internationally recognized Senior Investigators. Willingness to contribute to the preparation of research manuscripts and grant proposals is preferred. Excellent communication skills are essential.
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, the incumbent will conduct day-to-day research laboratory operations, provide oversight of technical staff as assigned, and prepare research findings for dissemination to the research group. S/he will also initiate new research directions to further this important field of research, and in coordination with the PI may seek funding support for such research.
- Performs lab techniques and procedures required for experimental studies.
- Conducts tests and procedures utilizing various lab equipment and instrumentation.
- Analyzes quantitative and qualitative data and prepares data for presentation to PI and others.
- Is responsible for day-to-day operations of assigned project, including scheduling of various procedures and analyses.
- Maintains up-to-date laboratory notebook containing all relevant procedural and supportive information for work conducted, data obtained, and conclusions drawn.
- Provides support to other investigators and personnel on an as-needed basis.
- Handles multiple projects within a fast-paced environment.
- Is open to new challenges and changing priorities.
- Maintains laboratory equipment.
- Prepares purchase requests, contacts vendors for product availability & pricing
- Maintains current laboratory chemical inventory.
- Maintains current working oversight compliance documents, such as blood donor consent forms, following appropriate information privacy and security practices.
- Performs scientific literature searches as directed or as necessary to develop or troubleshoot laboratory procedures.
- Maintains file system of program specific data to track suspense items, milestones, progress reports and funding accomplishments.
- Performs general program support work such as the collection, compilation, research, and/or tracking of data and program information.
- Prepares initial drafts of compliance documents and annual compliance renewals.
- Reviews and evaluates documents/reports and/or applications for omissions and inconsistencies, and ensures data is complete and accurate.
- Complies with safety and security policies and procedures.
- Reports potentially unsafe conditions or unethical practices.
- Works well with others.
The research technician will not be required to have primary supervisory responsibility, but will be expected to assist in training and oversight of student research fellows.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
An undergraduate/graduate degree in a biomedical or related field plus a general knowledge of research methodology is required. The preferred candidate will have relevant research experience with demonstrated success in conducting and managing study projects that utilize a variety of technical procedures and methods of data analysis.
Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively describe the rationale, approach, methods, results, and conclusions of the research work being performed and to present such information to investigators, supervisors, upper management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals. Ability to respond to common inquiries from technical and administrative staff, vendors, collaborators or other members of the scientific community. Ability to draft scientifically rigorous abstracts and manuscripts for publication is preferred.
Must be able to apply basic mathematical operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages) to the performance of laboratory studies. Must possess basic knowledge of quantitative and statistical methods sufficient to perform preliminary data analysis. Ability to perform complex univariate and multivariate statistical analysis is preferred.
Ability to grasp theoretical concepts, define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a wide variety of technical instructions presented in scientific publications and procedural manuals and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Must exhibit sound judgment and independent thinking in developing, conducting and analyzing results from several research protocols such that the work is completed in a sound and timely fashion. Must maintain a basic awareness of the progress of the field and in other competitive laboratories.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Other Skills and Abilities
Proficiency in the use of computer programs including Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint. Must be able to work independently, adjust to abrupt changes in priorities and meet multiple project deadlines.
Must be detail-oriented and an analytical thinker. Must have good teamwork skills and the ability to work with people at all levels of the organization as well as with research participants.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment is that of a research laboratory setting. The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Employee may be exposed to laboratory chemical and microbiological hazards and will be offered enrollment in the Occupational Health Screening program.
Salary: The incumbent will be an employee of the Idaho Veterans Research & Education Foundation (IVREF). Base salary range is $15-20 per hour; this is a non-exempt position without benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer: IVREF is committed to achieving academic and research excellence through cultural diversity and is an EEO institution. We encourage applications from men and women of all ethnicities and religions, and members of underrepresented groups. All candidates must provide proof of their current eligibility to work in the USA, and successfully complete a Federal criminal background check. IVREF maintains a drug-free workplace.
Additional information, including research focus, can be found at www.ivref.org.